Happy Summer! Let's have a beer...
Hi my friends! I'm back with a beer inspired cupcake recipe for ya. Remember that time I made the Blue Moon Cupcakes? Well this recipe is a spin off those, but instead of Blue Moon, I'm featuring my newest favorite Michigan-brewed beer, Oberon.
Michigan beer? What's Oberon?
So the story goes, in June of 1993 Bell's Brewery in Kalamazoo became the first brewery in Michigan to serve beer by the glass to the public. How cool is that? Bell's Eccentric Cafe has 20 beers on tap, including seasonal small batch varieties that are not distributed outside the pub.
The Eccentric Cafe also offers food everyday until 9pm, including a pulled pork sandwich prepared with Bell's beer! And there's no better place to enjoy a sandwich & a cold beer than in the Bell's Beer Garden, which features live music on the weekends!
Here's what Bell's has to say about Oberon:
Bell's Oberon is a wheat ale fermented with Bell's signature house ale yeast, mixing a spicy hop character with mildly fruity aromas. The addition of wheat malt lends a smooth mouthfeel, making it a classic summer beer.
These photos were taken in the Beer Garden, where the sunflowers are in full bloom!
Here's what you need...
3/4 c unsalted butter, softened
1 3/4 c sugar
2 1/2 c flour
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
orange food coloring
1 tablespoon orange zest
1 c beer +1/4 cup for brushing
1/4 c milk
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line cupcake pans with paper liners. In a medium bowl whisk together flour, baking powder and salt.
2. Cream butter and sugar with paddle attachment until light, about 2 minutes.
3. Add eggs one at a time, mixing until each is incorporated.
4. Add vanilla, food coloring and orange zest and beat.
5. Mix beer and milk in a measuring cup. Add flour mixture and beer mixture alternating each. Mix on medium speed until combined.
6. Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full and bake for 18-20 minutes or until tops of cupcakes spring back when lightly touched.
7. Cool cupcakes on a wire rack.
Don't forget the beer!
And the orange zest!
Batter ready to bake!
Time for some frosting!
"Beer Foam" Meringue Frosting
3 egg whites, room temperature
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp orange juice
1 c sugar
1 T corn syrup
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
1/3 c water
1. In a saucepan, mix sugar, corn syrup, water and cream of tartar. Cook on medium heat until sugar is dissolved and mixture is thick and bubbly, about 160 degrees.
2. In a large bowl, beat egg whites, vanilla and orange juice until soft peaks form. Slowly add hot sugar mixture, beating continuously. Beat for 7 minutes until stiff peaks form.
This frosting is marshmallowy- fluffy & lightly orange flavored, just like the foam of your beer with an orange slice in it! Yum!
Someone drank lots of Oberon while playing kickball this summer!
In the Bell's Beer Garden!
Hope the bartenders and servers loved the cupcakes! Thanks for letting us have a mini photo shoot in the garden! =]
Have a good summer everyone! Cheers a beer at your local brewery!