Are you thinking what I’m thinking? Guinness, brewed in Dublin, and Bailey’s Irish Cream sounds like the perfect combination for a St. Patty’s Day treat right?
Maybe not though. I don’t really like the taste of Guinness and Bailey’s is just alright, by themselves that is.
But TRUST ME, oh please trust me when I say the two are delicious when paired with dark chocolate and cream cheese frosting =]
I’m not a big drinker, I’m not really even a medium sized drinker. And Dylan doesn’t drink at all. And he even tried these cupcakes and LOVED them. So hopefully that convinces you that these are amazing.
And of course right when I go to open the Guinness it explodes all over...good thing I was right by the sink.
So the recipe for the Guinness Cupcakes is a little different then your usual chocolate cake recipe.
But I’ve been blogging for over a year now, so you guys can handle it right? Good.
Look how delicious they are right out of the oven!! I could eat it just like that...maybe.
While I was making the frosting Dylan got a little creative with the cupcakes!
Oh yes, I almost forgot. See the little gold sparkly balls on top of the cupcakes? (That kind of remind me of pots of gold....)
I made those out of plain old white sugar pearls. Why you ask? Because beautiful, amazing, shiny, fabulous gold and silver dragees are illegal in California.
All because someone ate a whole pack of them and got some sort of metal poisoning. Who eats the whole pack?! Ruin it for everyone why dontcha...
Don’t know what a dragee is? Here’s a random picture I found on google. So freakin cute.
Anyways...I made them out of these three ingredients. Ivory sugar pearls, gold luster dust, and clear/rainbow edible glitter!
I just poured some of the sugar pearls in a little bowl, added a few drops of water, and a sprinkle of the dust and glitter. Mix with a toothpick and there you have it! Homemade gold dragees =]
So they might not be as shiny, but hey good enough right?
And I also found these really cute shamrock cupcake toppers at Michael’s a couple days ago..
Are you ready for some recipes?
Guinness Chocolate Cupcakes
1 cup Guinness
1 cup unsalted Butter
3/4 cup cocoa
2/3 cup sour cream
6oz dark chocolate
2 cup flour
2 cup sugar
1 1/2 t baking soda
3/4 t Salt
1. Preheat over to 350 degrees. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking soda and salt.
2. Simmer the Guinness and butter in a small pot over medium heat, then add the cocoa and stir until smooth. Transfer to bowl of an electric mixer and mix on low for 3-5 minutes. (To cool it down, we don’t want our eggs scrambling!)
3. While the chocolate beer mixture cools a little bit, heat the cream over the stove or in the microwave, then pour over the dark chocolate and let stand one minute. Stir until smooth. Then add to chocolate beer mixture in mixer.
4. Add sour cream and eggs and mix until combined.
5. Add dry ingredients. Fill lined cupcake pans 2/3 full, then bake for about 20 minutes.
Bailey’s Cream Cheese Frosting
-makes enough to frost about 24 cupcakes
1 8oz pack of cream cheese, softened
1 stick of unsalted butter, softened
2 cups powdered sugar, sifted (Don’t skip this step! I hate sifting...but smooth, creamy frosting is worth it.)
3 tablespoons of Bailey’s Irish Cream
1. Cream the butter and cream cheese in mixer until creamy. Add sifted powdered sugar.
2. Add Bailey’s to taste! Not too much though, or else the frosting will be too runny.
Hope you guys try these recipes, they are amazing!
Have a safe and fun St. Patrick’s Day!