December/14/2010 09:38 PM
Again, I am so sorry it has been so long since my last update. I have been finishing up my last semester in pastry school! Busy busy!
A few weeks ago when it was starting to get nice and cold outside, these cupcakes popped into my head. I was thinking hot chocolate + peppermint schnapps.....and whipped cream! Oh so good.
So here is what I did.
Malted Hot Chocolate Cupcakes
-makes about 20
3/4 cup Ovaltine
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
3/4 cup buttermilk
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
2/3 cup Peppermint Schnapps
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cupcake pans with liners; set aside. In a large mixing bowl, sift together Ovaltine, cocoa, flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
2. Add the eggs, buttermilk, oil, and schnapps; mix batter until smooth, about 3 minutes. Scrape down the sides and bottom of bowl to assure batter is well mixed.
3. Divide batter evenly among liners, filling each about 2/3 full. Bake until tops spring back when touched, about 20 minutes, rotating pan once if needed. Transfer to a wire rack; let cool completely.
Mix it up.
And for the frosting...I imagined the perfect cup of hot cocoa topped with marshmallows AND whipped cream. Oh yes.
EASY Marshmallow Whipped Cream
1 pint marshmallow cream
1/4 cup butter
1 pint whipping cream
1 tablespoon Peppermint Schnapps
2 tablespoons vanilla pudding mix
1. Whip the whipping cream, vanilla pudding powder, and add schnapps.
2. Blend the softened butter into the marshmallow cream. Fold into the whipped cream.
*For plain frosting, substitute 1 teaspoon vanilla for the Peppermint Schnapps.
And to garnish I just crushed up some classic peppermint candy canes and sprinkled them on top! Be careful though, if letting these cupcakes sit overnight, refrigeration is a good idea. But if serving within a few hours, the gelatin in the pudding mix will allow them to hold just fine. Also, wait until serving to sprinkle on candy pieces, because they will dissolve if left overnight.
The boy crushin up the candy canes, haha.
Have a cup =]
<3hollicakes Read More...